Monday, May 26, 2014

Review: PrimaDonna Cocktail Swimsuit In Midnight Blue

Rosie Price-Smith reviews the Primadonna Cocktail control swimsuit in midnight blue from the brand’s debut swimwear collection, available now in Rigby & Peller stores.

Primadonna says: ‘This is a body-shaping swimsuit with integrated underwired bra and elegant draping on the tummy. The adjustable shoulder straps can be worn around the neck by means of the special halter fastening or by tying them in a knot. The side seams are further forward, creating an elegant, slimmer waist. The sturdy front keeps tummy and waist in check, while the draping conceals any imperfections. The integrated underwired bra with sturdy cups provides uplift and gives the breasts an attractively round form. The stretch shoulder straps give extra support and are adjustable to ensure optimal comfort.’

Rosie says: ‘As some of you will know, I’m a sucker for swimwear, especially one-pieces. I may dare a bikini this summer, but swimsuits are my staple. And what I am looking for this summer is simple and understated, just one colour, but with a shape that said ‘wow’; a piece I can wear in the spa on my trip to Wales as well as when I’m on a foodie holiday with my mum in Greece. Incoming: the PrimaDonna Cocktail control swimsuit.

Rigby & Peller invited me to a swimwear fitting to try the new PrimaDonna Cocktail swimsuit in midnight blue. I’m usually a 30F, but Rigby & Peller asked me in to a fitting because the PrimaDonna Cocktail starts in a size 32 back, and it would be no use to anyone (least of all me) if it hadn’t have fitted properly. Customer happiness points: 1.

When I arrived at the store I was feeling a little down (I had just been to a lingerie department nearby where I had found nothing in my size). I was early, but I sat down in the waiting room to a bunch of magazines – and a hot cup of tea. Customer happiness points: 2.

Now, I know lingerie fittings fill some people with dread, but I’m more used to them than most. If you’re going to a fitting at Rigby & Peller, you should be prepared not to be embarrassed. They fitters ask you what size you’re wearing, and fit you based on this and looking at you – there are no tape measures used as standard here.

The Primadonna swimsuit, if you take a look at it very quickly on the hanger, could be mistaken for mumsy – once you put it on though, I promise you won’t think it’s mumsy anymore. This is a very simply styled swimsuit – exactly what I’m after – with some tummy control, but once on it really is a beautiful and flattering shape.

The ruching over the stomach area isn’t over done, as the fabric feels soft and light – and this was perfect when I went to the spa last weekend and I was in and out of the pool. The potential with ruching is that it stays wet for way too long as there’s too much fabric, but that’s not the case with the Cocktail swimsuit, it’s light and flattering even when it’s wet (and dries quickly!).

The cups are fitted and have a soft fabric overlay that is shaped on top around the bust, which means you can cover or uncover your cleavage as much as you want, always a plus.

At first I thought there were only shoulder straps, but these actually come undone at the back and click together to make a halter neck. And this is my favourite aspect of the swimsuit, as the halter neck creates a stunning neckline. I felt very Sex and The City as I lay by the pool in the spa.

To test it out properly, I then went swimming in my local pool and did 20 lengths. I tried it with the shoulder straps first, worried that wearing it as a halter neck would pull on my neck and wouldn’t be as supportive. I was wrong.

The swimsuit is cupped and underwired to size. I usually wear a 30F in bras but the 32F in this suit fitted me fine – although admittedly it was a little tough to get on over the bottom! The cup fitting means your bust is completely supported without the straps taking the weight. Usually, a halter neck swimsuit and D plus boobs mean a strained neck, as the straps work hard to lift up your bust and you constantly pull them tighter to get more lift. Not the case here. At all. My breasts were already supported, so the job of the straps is to merely keep the shape of the fabric around my chest.

The colour is also lovely – navy is the new black on the beach this summer, for me anyway! And it also goes well with the bright neon accessories that are all the rage – think bright sun hats, neon wedges and gold statement jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment